The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution was founded October 11, 1890. The Owasco Chapter NSDAR was organized in Auburn, New York, on April 28, 1897, by the late Mrs. Julia Porter Osborne, who was at that time a member of the Irondequoit Chapter of Rochester, NY. On the third of February preceding the formal organization, Mrs. Osborne entertained, at her home on South Street, fourteen ladies who were eligible to membership. Those ladies, together with others, became the charter members whose names are inscribed on the charter as follows:
|Mrs. Katherine VanVechton Huntington|
|Miss Frances VanVechton|
|Miss Jennie M. Cox|
|Mrs. Frances Goodrich Underwood Anderson|
|Mrs. Marion Isabelle Mosher|
|Miss Helen Fairchild Smith|
|Mrs. Amarilla Beardsley Sartwell|
|Miss Anna Armstrong|
|Mrs. Florence Snow Lee|
|Mrs. Louise Morgan Zabriskie|
|Mrs. Isabelle Leas McCarthy|
|Miss Agnes Sartwell Beardsley|
|Miss Mary Snow|
|Miss Josephine Knapp|
|Mrs. Jessie Knapp Gates|
|Mrs. Caroline Beardsley Woodruff|
|Miss Ruth Miriam Osborne|
|Mrs. Malcolm Moffatt Knapp|
|Miss Edith Lewis Booth|
|Mrs. Julia Porter Osborne|
In 1905, Owasco Chapter placed a bronze tablet on the Federal Building (former Post Office), honoring the Revolutionary War soldiers and sailors buried in Cayuga County. The visit of General LaFayette was honored with a bronze tablet on the Smith and Pearson Building (former Western Exchange Tavern). For the Bicentennial of George Washington (1732-1932), a bronze tablet was placed on the Washington Elm at Hoopes Park. Funds were contributed for a tablet placed on the Court House in memory of Harriet Tubman. Dogwood trees were planted at the Seward House to celebrate 200 years of the Constitution and at the Faatz-Crofut Home to honor Earth Day.
The chapter pioneered in raising money to provide the first visiting nurse in the city of Auburn, contributed to restoration of the Owasco Dutch Reformed Church (some founders were Revolutionary War patriots), contributed to a Military History Exhibit at Cayuga Museum, and in 1976 sponsored the Col. John L. Hardenbergh Society Children of the American Revolution. Official flags that have flown over the Capitol in Washington, D.C. have been presented to several organizations locally. Recently a grave marking ceremony was held at the Sherwood Cemetery for Edward Robinson, a Revolutionary patriot.
Owasco Chapter supports DAR owned and supported schools. Current committee activity includes DAR Project Patriot, Women's Issues, Literacy Challenge, Community Service Awards, Conservation, Service for Veterans, DAR Good Citizens, and The Flag of the United States of America. At the present time we have 84 members and 2 associate members.